top of page

Frequently Asked Questions​


  • How do I tell if I am eligible for a license?
    The State of Texas spells out the eligibility criteria in GC § 411.172. Click here to read and determine if you meet eligibility requirements.
  • What is the process to obtain my LTC?
    Click here to see the full process.
  • How do I change my name or address on my license?
    You must contact the DPS Concealed Handgun Section to receive a change of address form, or you may send a letter including your full name, CHL number, old address and new address (or status) and a cashier's check or money order for $25. You may call 1-800-224-5744, write Texas Dept. of Public Safety Concealed Handgun Licensing Bureau, P.O. Box 4087, Austin, Texas, 78773 or online at
  • When can I carry my handgun?
    You may carry after you receive the license in the mail, but not before.
  • How long does it take to receive my license?
    DPS will try to get your license to you within 60 days, barring any complications or additional requests for data. Usually, as of the time of this writing, they are only taking a few weeks.
  • Do I have to tell anyone that I have a License to Carry?
    No. The only time you must inform someone that you have your LTC is when a law enforcemnt officer or magistrate asks for your identification. If you are carrying, then you must present both licenses. If you are not carrying, it is not required of you, but it is still a good practice anyway. Do not lie to a law enforcement officer or magistrate if he/she asks you if you have your LTC. If anyone else asks, you do not need to tell them anything.
  • Facebook - Black Circle
bottom of page